Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"The War on Women's Health": Group multimedia project reflection

"The War on Women's Health"





When we wrote down the issues we wanted to do for this group project, I put 'birth control' at the very top of my list. This is an issue that is extremely important to me. In fact, this is the main issue that I am concerned about when choosing who I will be voting for this coming November. I have been passionate about the availability of birth control for a while and I will continue to be until the issue is no longer debated and all women have easy access.

That being said, I really enjoyed this project because it gave me an outlet to express my frustration about recent policies and inform my classmates how extremely important this issue was. Using a script and recording my thoughts aloud instead of simply writing a paper made me even more passionate about what I was saying. Hearing someone's voice instead of just reading their words makes whatever is being said more personal, and therefore you can reach the audience on a closer level. At first I thought recording would just be a nuisance, but I was definitely surprised at how much I enjoyed it and how much more powerful it made the overall result.

I had thought that I was well-informed about birth control when I began research, but I actually had quite a lot to learn. Researching this topic opened my eyes to new information, especially the history of birth control regulation. Although I knew that birth control was not widely available in the past, I was not aware that the government has been trying to restrict its regulation since its very invention. I also learned more about the recent laws that have been proposed against birth control in states like Arizona. I had no idea how shocking and terrible some of these laws are. The information I learned when researching this project only fueled my interest. It made me even more passionate about ending the ridiculous regulations on birth control and making it available to all women. I am really glad I got the opportunity to create a video around this topic because of both the additional information I have learned and the realization of how effective recorded voice can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment